Rhyl FC
Rhyl FC
The Lilywhites

Rhyl FC 2 - 2 Penrhyncoch

Home | 03 February 2018 | Attendance: 381

Rhyl had a disappointing day at the Corbett Sports Stadium as they were held to a draw against Penrhyncoch.

The game opened with Rhyl unusually attacking the Grange Road end and they had the majority of the early play without creating a clear cut opportunity. Their first chance came after 15 minutes after James Murphy broke into the box beating three defenders as he created the opportunity but his shot was comfortably saved by Leigh Jenkins in the Penrhyncoch.

The speed of Murphy, Aaron Pomeyie and Alun Webb began to create problems for the visitors and two minutes later Pomeyie was able to sprint past the defence but his low shot was deflected away by Jenkins.
After 20 minutes Rhyl had a good passage of play after Jordan Barrow linked up with Murphy and played in Pomeyie but his shot went over the bar. The next chance came after 29 minutes when Alun Webb created danger on the Rhyl left and his low cross was inches away from Phil Marsh who was unable to convert the opportunity.

As it looked as if the teams would head in level a spell of pressure for Rhyl led to the breakthrough. From a corner the visitors were unable to clear and Murphy was able to cross the ball towards the six yard box where Will Bell was able to header the ball home to put Rhyl into the lead. In the last minute Penrhyncoch had their best chance of the half but Elian Evans headed over.

Alex Titchiner replaced Phil Marsh at the break and against the run of play the visitors regained a hold in the game. Scrappy play saw the visitors awarded a free kick on the wide right hand side of the penalty area and a Cledan Davies free kick evaded Rory Crowther and put the visitors back in the match.

This setback saw Rhyl lose momentum with James Brewerton picking up a yellow card and it wasn’t until the 60 minute mark that Rhyl began to start creating chances to regain the lead. Sam Downey was played through but as he attempted to turn to finish he was closed down and his cross to Alex Titchiner saw the attacker closed down and the shot deflected wide.

However eventually a second for Rhyl came and a cross from Webb in the 71st minute created confusion in the visitor defence and the cross was met by a headed touch by James Murphy at close range to put Rhyl back in front.

The hosts looked to extend their league when another good run from the lively Murphy saw his shot go narrowly over and then the hosts shot themselves in the foot again allowing the visitors back in the game. A poor clearance from Brewerton invited more pressure and a cross by Matt Mousley to the near post saw Sion Meredith head down and whilst Crowther was able to stop the shot Meredith was able to force the ball home from close range.

Immediately afterwards the hosts attempted to gain the lead for a third time and went close as a Sam Downey cross into the box saw substitute Mark Connolly fail to connect to force the ball home. Shortly afterwards a strong challenge from Jordan Barrow saw the referee award a red card to the midfielder judging the challenge to be dangerous.

Then Rhyl’s afternoon looked set to get worse as the 10 men conceded a penalty. James Brewerton made a clumsy challenge in the box and the Penrhyncoch player went to the ground and Dan Fogarty awarded the spot kick. However Rory Crowther was once again the hero as he dived to his right and forced Cledan Evans shot on to the post and he was able to hold on to the ball.

Rhyl will have felt that the afternoon represented 2 points lost as they failed to create the opportunities their possession reflected but for the late penalty save from Crowther it could have been an unlikely loss against a well organised and difficult to break down Penrhyncoch.


Pictures courtesy of Hannah Gwenllian

Starting Line Up

Rory Crowther
Will Bell
James Brewerton
Tom Hartley
Jordan Barrow
Stewart Carroll
Sam Downey
Phil Marsh
Aaron Pomeyie
James Murphy
Alun Webb


Ben Collins
Mark Connolly
Danny Holland
Alex Titchiner