Rhyl FC
Rhyl FC
The Lilywhites

Rhyl FC 1 - 0 Holyhead Hotspur

Away | 24 March 2018 | Attendance: 121

Rhyl made it 4 wins in a row with a determined performance which secured a 1-0 win away to Holyhead Hotspur at the New Oval. 

The drama started shortly before kick off when keeper Rory Crowther fell ill meaning a late change in goal with Antoni Sarnowski stepping up off the bench to start the match in goal for the Lilywhites. 

The opening exchanges were fairly even with the runs of Danny Holland and Aaron Pomeyie posing a danger to the hosts.  The breakthrough came in the 19th minute when a through ball from Pomeyie was seized upon by Phil Marsh who was able to evade the Holyhead defence and Marsh was able to get away a shot which was on only partially blocked by Paul Pritchard in the Holyhead goal and the ball crossed the line to give the Lilywhites a deserved lead.

With Rhyl applying pressure Phil Marsh thought he had doubled the advantage when he finished with a fine volley from the edge of the box from a Rhyl free kick but the Assistant Referee had raised the flag for offside.

Shortly afterwards James Murphy went off with a knock in the 26th minute after some strong challenges by Holyhead and Mike Walsh came on in the centre of midfield with Sam Downey moving slightly forward. Rhyl continued to create chances and Pomeyie must have thought he was about to double the lead when he rounded Pritchard but Dan McGinness was able to cover back and clear the ball away close to the line.  Downey and Mark Connolly both had chances towards the end of the half but were unable to apply the finish.

The second half saw the hosts rally and gain more of the possession without creating clear cut chances to challenge Sarnowski in the Rhyl goal.  After a number of strong challenges midfielder Sam Downey received a yellow card for a strong physical header which the referee viewed worthy as a foul as a Holyhead player collided with him afterwards and James Brewerton also received a yellow card for his protests from the Rhyl bench.

The next moment of controversy came when Mark Connolly was running through towards the Holyhead goal and as he tried to evade the challenge of Holyhead defender Alex Jones the defender lost balance and from on the ground managed to divert the ball away from Connolly with his hand as he was about to shoot.  The referee waved play on and the chance came to nothing with Jones receiving only a yellow card.  With Holyhead continuing to press, Mike Walsh had an excellent game in midfield seeking to ensure that Rhyl kept possession and Holland and Pomeyie continued to provide good outlets for Rhyl breaks. 

With ten minutes to go a long ball forward saw Phil Marsh through on goal and as he attempted to control the ball, Paul Pritchard came out of the area to block the chance and the referee sent off Pritchard for use of the hands outside of the area to deny Marsh the goal scoring opportunity.  Defender, Rees Brown took over the goalkeeper duties and was able to deny Sam Downey and Danny Holland who had good opportunities to seal the win.

The win saw the Lilywhites maintain their strong finish to the season claiming their fourth win in a row to maintain their third place position in the Huws Gray Alliance.

Starting Line Up

Antoni Sarnowski
Will Bell
Tom Hartley
Tony Davies
Jason Jeffries
Mark Connolly
Sam Downey
Danny Holland
Phil Marsh
Aaron Pomeyie
James Murphy


James Brewerton
Mike Walsh