Rhyl FC
Rhyl FC
The Lilywhites

Rhyl Ladies FC 2 - 2 Cardiff Met Ladies

Home | 25 February 2018

Rhyl Ladies upset the formbook by becoming the first team to take points from Orchard Welsh Premier Women’s League Leaders Cardiff Metropolitan Ladies in an entertaining 2-2 draw at the Corbett Sports Stadium. With Cardiff Met having won 12 from 12 so far this season and only conceding 6 goals they entered the game as favourites but the Lilywhites showed endeavour and were minutes away from pulling off a shock win.

Rhyl Ladies had the first chance of the match in the opening minutes but Emily Jones was unable to apply the finish when she broke clear of the Cardiff Met Ladies defence. The next chance fell to Cardiff Met but Erin Murray’s shot was met by a great reflex block by Amy Webster, Rhyl’s stand in keeper following last week’s injury to Samanatha Mitchell. As the half went on the running of Emily Jones and Paige Williams continued to create havoc as they were able to feed on to passes to press the Cardiff Met defence and create opportunities. For Rhyl the early injury to Tonicha Dickens caused a reshuffle with Cassandra Thomas coming on after 20 minutes. The visitors were restricted to long range shots which Amy Webster comfortably dealt with, and the game remained goalless at the break.

With Cardiff Met being held many expected them to come out the traps at the start of the second half to pile pressure on the hots but it was they who took the lead in the 47th minute when a Laura Williams shot from 25 yards out left Jess Rees unable to make the save. The Lilywhites were buoyed by the goal and 7 minutes later they doubled their advantage. Jess Rees in the Cardiff Met goal did well to parry a free kick from Laura Williams but the rebound fell inside the six yard box and Rebecca Bannister was on hand to get the touch to force the ball home to put Rhyl 2-0 up against the League leaders.

Cardiff Met continued to pressure the Rhyl defence but the centre half partnership of Caroline Gardner and Kim Sands ensured that clear cut chances were limited and the Rhyl midfield battled hard to break up any attacks by the visitors and when they play broke down for Cardiff Met, the willing running of Emily Jones and Paige Williams were the perfect options for Rhyl to make counter acts.

Inevitably Cardiff Met got back into the match with 15 minutes left to play after a cross from the Cardiff Met right was turned in by Chloe Tiley to set up a grandstand finish. Rhyl had strong claims for a penalty minutes later when a Rhyl shot struck a Cardiff Met arm but the referee viewed it as unintentional and the set was scene for the final few minutes. A collision between Kitty Wells and Amy Webster saw a delay in play and the added time was to cost Rhyl dear. A shot from Erin Murray hit the bar and appeared to have bounced down on the line but the officials were of the view that the ball had gone over the line and awarded the goal in the first minute of injury time. Cardiff Met continued to apply pressure but Rhyl held out for a point against the Leaders.

Amy Webster; Alaw Davies-Smith; Tonicha Dickens (Cassandra Thomas); Kim Sands; Caroline Gardner; Rachael Nattrass; Rebecca Bannister; Laura Williams; Ashleigh Mills; Emily Jones; Paige Williams

Cardiff Met
Jess Rees; Lucy Brown; Rebecca Mathias; Tija Richardson; Steph Turner; Ellie Walker Smith; Erin Murray; Stacey Ayling; Kitty Wells; Jas Simpson, Chloe Tiley
Subs – Jayde Cook; Kennesha Nanette; Louise Hutton and Izzy Taylor

Full album of picturesbelow:-


Rhyl Ladies v Cardiff Met Ladies 25/2/2018

Starting Line Up