Rhyl FC
Rhyl FC
The Lilywhites

Rhyl FC 3 - 1 Porthmadog

Away | 01 September 2018 | Attendance: 306

Rhyl became the first team to beat Portmadog this season with a 3-1 victory over the hosts at Y Traeth, to make it three wins in a row and to move up to third place in the table.

The Lilywhites made a positive start to the game with an attacking line up and this was rewarded in the third minute. The dangerous James Murphy was allowed to attack the Porthmadog defence on the Rhyl right and he drove into the box and delivered a low ball across the area which Mike Pritchard was able to get to and put the Lilywhites one up early on.

The game settled into a pattern with Rhyl holding the majority of the play and Pritchard came close to getting his second in the 15 minute after good work by Kristian Pierce but his shot went over.

Close to the half hour mark James Murphy had some chances but was unable to convert. His first chance was blocked after good work by Pierce and then a minute later he had a double chance. Played in by a through ball his initial shot was saved by Paul Pritchard and the rebound came to Murphy and he composed himself on the edge of the box but his lobbed shot went over the bar.

Porthmadog best chance came in the 32nd minute when good work down the Porthmadog right saw Robert Evans power into the box and Iwan Lewis had a great chance at the near post but he steered the ball the wrong side from the hosts perspective.
Almost immediately Rhyl created another chance and Mike Pritchard’s shot went over and then a minute later another shot from Mike Pritchard, this time a low driven shot was saved will by Paul Pritchard. Joe Culshaw saw a shot go over before Iwan Lewis spurned another opportunity to equalise for the hosts.

Overall Rhyl deserved the lead at the break knowing that the first 10 minutes of the second half would set the tone of the match.

Almost immediately at the start of the half James Murphy saw a shot deflected onto the post and then in the 55th minute Rhyl finally doubled their advantage. Joe Culshaw floated the ball into the box from a free kick 30 yards out and Max Peate was able to get his head to the ball to loop the ball over Paul Pritchard to the delight of the travelling Lilywhites fans.

However with Rhyl looking to capitalise on the lead the hosts came back and in the 63rd minute they got their reward. After a Porthmadog shot hit the cross bar the Rhyl defence failed to clear the danger and the ball fell to Gruff J Williams on the edge of the box and he buried the ball home to give Porthmadog a lifeline.

The best chances fell to Iwan Lewis but he was unable to capitalise on the opportunities and the outcome of the game was confirmed in the 81st minute. Barry Torrence was able to get down the Rhyl left and his ball towards the goal was not cleared by the home defence and the ball fell to Gareth Partridge who hit the half volley first time and this left Paul Pritchard with no chance as the ball flew into the back of the net.

Overall a very professional performance for the Lilywhites against opponents expected to be near the top of the table this season. With 5 of the next 6 games at home including 2 Cup games, Eddie Maurice Jones’ side now have the platform to build upon to capitalise upon recent good form with league games against Gresford Athletic, Conwy Borough, Flint Town United and Airbus UK Broughton coming up this month.

Photos courtesy of Gareth Hughes

Starting Line Up

Rory Crowther
Joe Culshaw
Max Peate
Liam Smith
Danny Sullivan
Dave McIntyre
Gareth Partridge
Kristian Pierce
Mike Pritchard
Barry Torrence
James Murphy


Jonathan Hill-Dunt
Tom Hartley
Aaron Hassall
Matthew Cook
Matthew Worrall