Rhyl FC
Rhyl FC
The Lilywhites
Rhyl FC
Bala Town

Away | 26 December 2016 | Attendance: 211

Match Report

A makeshift Rhyl were blown apart in the first half as the hosts maintained their winning run to eight consecutive matches.   With three players missing from suspension and two defenders missing it was a much changed line up and the opening exchanges suggested an even game was on the agenda but Lee Hunt put the home side ahead in the 7th minute as he slotted home unmarked from 8 yards out. As Rhyl pressed for an equaliser Bala, in what was to be a recurring theme, showed speed of movement to turn defence into attack as Rob Hughes and Michael Walsh collided in the box and within seconds David Thompson took the ball the other end of the field to set up Lee Hunt to double the home side's lead in the 17th minute.

Rhyl continued to enjoy possession without creating any clear cut chances and a fine Owen Evans save in the 26th minute kept the home advantage at 2.  

In the last 11 minutes of the half however the Christmas lunch was well and truly worn off with 4 goals in 9 minutes and a red card. In the 34th minute yet again Bala broke as a Rhyl attack fizzled out and when Evans denied Mike Hayes, Hunt was on hand to put home the rebound for his hat trick. Almost immediately after the restart Bala went back down the Rhyl end and caught the defence off guard with Hayes scoring to make it 4-0.

However a defensive mix up between Ashley Morris and John Irving allowed Carl Lamb an easy chance to net his eighth league goal of the season past Morris to give the visitors an outside hope. This was shortly lived as once again ill-discipline cost Rhyl dear as Rob Hughes appeared to kick out at David Thompson and referee Lee Evans had no hesitation to show the red card, Rhyl's seventh in the last five matches. With Rhyl now in free fall, a Bala attack presented Mike Hayes the opportunity to finish from close range and put the hosts 5-1 up at half time.

The second half was a more even affair as Rhyl showed better shape which reduced the opportunities for the home side to get behind the opposition. A strong rearguard action and some excellent saves from Owen Evans prevented the hosts from scoring more.  The only goal came 5 minutes from time from a header from defender Stuart J Jones following a corner.

The results confirmed that Rhyl will play their Phase 2 fixtures in the Conference side of the League with the threat of relegation looming balanced against the incentive of pushing for a seventh place finish to claim the last Europa League play off spot.


Match Photo's

Match Stats

Starting Line Up

Owen Evans
Tom Hartley
Dan Collins
Mike Walsh
Rob Hughes
Jordan Miller (65')
James Bell
Ashley Young
Toby Jones (78')
Carl Lamb
Porya Ahmadi (37')


Rory Crowther
Luke Fitzpatrick
Kristian Pierce (65')
Oliver Buckley (37')
Iwan Murray (78')